Pages

Monday 28 July 2014

Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms

Time management skills are not my current strongest suit right now. I haven't had a proper full cooking day in awhile, which makes me happy that I like doing recipes a few at a time so that I always have something to post. 


I was supposed to have one this weekend, but the lighting situation was just not working at all, with too many clouds, there was little natural light to work with. Which means I should probably really invest in some indoor natural lighting equipment. I am definitely planning to do so, but I'm reallllly trying to push it off until after we move across the country.


And now, to discuss this dish! I had never made stuffed mushrooms before, but after browsing through a few recipes and analyzing the fridge that day, I felt that it was a good time to give it a try.


This is one of the rare dishes I've made that include a vegan cheese. I used daiya because it's what I had on hand, but this would be even better with a homemade/artisan mozza style vegan cheese. It's even great without! It's the only added fat to the recipe, so make it low fat is as easy as omitting the cheese.


This is a great late summer recipe, with all the vegetables within being fresh and in season. Feel free to change it up with whatever you can find at the farmer's market.




Stuffed Mushrooms

- 5 portobella mushroom caps
- 1 zucchini, diced
- ½ large leek, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 can artichoke hearts
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1 tsp rosemary
- pepper
- ¼ cup nooch
- 1/3 cup GF breadcrumbs
- 1 tbsp braggs

Pre-heat over to 375F

Cut out the mushroom stems and set aside to use in a broth or other recipe. You can also spoon out some of the gills to make more space for the filling, but I found that unnecessary.

In a large deep pan, water saute the zucchinni, leeks and garlic until lightly softened, about 5 minutes. In a large bowl, combine the sauteed veggies, well drained artichoke hearts and all the other ingredients (save the mushroom caps). Stir to combine, if you are finding it a bit wet, add some breadcrumbs.

On a parchment paper lines baking sheet, line up the mushroom caps and pile them high with stuffing. If you want to use vegan cheese, add a little sprinkle now. 

Pop them in the oven for 20-25 minutes, until the tops start browning a little and the cheese is melted (if using). Let cool at least 5 minutes before serving.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment