Pages

Monday 21 July 2014

Butter(nut) Squash Curry

Today marks the official one year birthday of Plates for Plants! To mark this very special occasion, I am sharing a recipe thatI have been holding onto for a few months now. It's just so amazing and delicious that I had to wait for a special occasion such as today to share it with you.


Before we get to that though, I want to thank everyone who has followed Plates for Plants over the last year and helped us grow (over 41000 page views so far!). I am so grateful to be able to share with you my passion for plant-based food and health. Here's to growth and change over the next year!


This dish came to me so randomly, but that first bite was a revelation. My partner commented on how similar this tasted to what he remembers butter chicken tasting like. Now, It's been so long for me personally that I can quite remember it clearly, but I can say that it is damn good.


The butternut squash and coconut bring a nice rich creamy flavor to the dish that is really the highlight of the meal. If you can make fresh coconut cream from fresh coconuts, this is when the dish is at it's best. It can work with canned coconut milk as well, but the extra work is definitely worth it.


I've remade this about 5 times already over the past few months, which is really saying something as I rarely remake the same recipe more than a few times since I constantly try out new things to share with you.



Butternut Squash Curry

- 1 can coconut cream
- 2 large tomatoes
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 ½ tbsp minced ginger
- 1 ½ tbsp. minced fresh turmeric
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1 tbsp coriander
- 1 tsp salt/pepper
- ½ tsp red pepper flakes
- 2 cup shredded Kale
- 3 cups cubed roasted butternut squash

Note: I would absolutely suggest doubling the recipe, you'll want leftovers!

In the blender, combine the coconut cream, tomatoes, garlic, ginger and turmeric and blend until smooth.

In a large deep pan or pot, water saute the onions for about 3-4 minutes, until translucent. Add a tbsp or so of water and add the spices to toast for a minute or so, until fragrant. Dump in the sauce and let cook for about 10-15 minutes, until thcikenend. Add in kale and butternut cubes. Cook until the kale is softened.

Serve over rice, with naan, or on it's own.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment