Pages

Monday 16 June 2014

Black Bean Loaf

There are some days that I find solace and comfort in the making of a recipe. Something thatI have never made before most of the time, or at least a new variation. The best days are when I spend the entire day testing recipes, sometimes up to 10! When I made this recipe, it was one of those days.


Bean and nut loafs are something that I was always curious about, but having only made raw nut ones at the restaurant I worked at in Toronto, I knew that this one was going to be very different. I usually prefer lower fat recipes, or at least no oils. There are definitely exceptions to that, I am working on an easy cream cheeze recipe at the moment that is 98% seeds.


I've been on the job search (again) and it's been somewhat of a challenge to apply to positions that are short-term and still give me time to keep working on this blog. Keeping a balance of job to pay the bills, and time to work on y true passion right here.


I seriously dream of just doing this full-time. I'm working hard to on bringing Plates for Plants to the next step to make that dream a reality, preferably within the next year!


Enough about all that, let's get back to the food. This loaf was scarfed down by my partner in about 2 seconds flat. I *think* he enjoyed it, even though it was hard to tell if he was actually tasting it at all...


Its also a quick and easy dinner to throw together whenever that is needed, which let's face it, is pretty often. I definitely will be adding this one to the last minute guest go-to recipe list.


The loaf as a nice crust and soft interior that just melts in your mouth. I do think that a "meatloaf" pretty much *needs* a little coating of ketchup baked into the top, but if that;s not your thing, then it's not absolutely essential. Use any tomato sauce to serve, I just mixed 50-50 homemade tomato sauce and ketchup.




Black Bean Loaf

- 2 cans black beans, rinsed
- 1.5 cups quick oats
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped.
- 1 carrot, chopped or grated.
- 1 small onion, minced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp braggs liquid aminos
- 1 tsp cumin
- 3 tbsp ketchup (opt)
- Black pepper, to taste
- Water for sautéing.

Pre-heat oven to 350F.

In a medium pan, water saute the onions until translucent then add the garlic, pepper and carrot. Cook for about 5-6 minutes, until softened.

In a large bowl, combine the black beans, oats and all seasonings. Add in the veggies that you sautéed and mash with a potato masher or fork until well combine but not mushy, If it isnt moist enough add water and if too moist add oats until it holds together.

Spoon "dough" into a parchment paper lined loaf pan and bake for about 30 minutes, until it has developed a nice crust.

I served with steamed yams and onions and tomato sauce.

Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment