Pages

Monday 24 March 2014

Apple Pie Oatmeal

Breakfast around here always involves fruit, which is why not many traditional breakfasty and sweet recipes make it to this blog. But I am working to change that since all of us have sweet tooths and I want to start including many more fruit-centric recipes.


This Apple Pie Oatmeal reminds me of being a kid, but 1000% times better since we used to eat the instant sachets of oatmeal before school and had the more wholesome stuff on the weekends with brown sugar.


The apples are easily prepared in advance so if you do want to have this for breakfast you can whip it all up in no time (we have it for dinner since eating fruit all day works the best for me).


I used Royal Gala apples since they are my favorite. I've read that they aren't the best choice for this kind of recipe but I'm not really one to follow rules. They kept their shape and the texture was my cup of tea. I think softer apples are usually chosen to make pies.


Although it's all green and sunny in these pictures, this recipe is perfect for those cold winter days. Nothing like a little warm comforting oatmeal with toast to brighten up a dreary cloudy day. Is it weird that I find oatmeal to be one of the most comforting foods?


I guess comfort food to me is warm, nourishing and familiar, for the most part. Really, I think that all food is comforting in it's own way and I like to stick to the healthier stuff. Associating healthy and nutritious foods to comfort make being healthy delicious and satisfying.




Apple Pie Oatmeal
 Ingredients:

- 4 medium apples, diced
- 3/4 cup sugar
- Cinnamon to taste
- 1.5 cups quick oats

Start off making the apple caramel. In a medium pot, combine apples with the sugar and cinnamon and a splash of water. One medium-high heat, cook until syrupy and the apples have softened up. This can be made beforehand and stored in the fridge until needed.

When ready to eat, cook oatmeal according to instructions and add in half the apple caramel. Use the rest to top or just throw it all in.

Enjoy!




No comments:

Post a Comment