Pages

Monday 20 January 2014

Meatless Monday's: Quick Black Bean Burgers

Sometimes, there just isn't the time or energy to make dinner, let alone a complex meal.


I find that somedays, if I didn't eat as simply as I do, I'd just be too lazy to make myself food. Or I just get so caught up with whatever it is that I'm doing that once I realize I have to eat, it's a gotta-eat-right-now-omg-starving kind of feeling. During the day, I scarf down some fruit, usually just whatever is ripest and easiest, which 90% of the time means bananas. Fruit is the fastest food around!



But then, on those days days, when dinner comes around and I'm not in the mood for a monster truck size salad, something quick and easy is on my mind.

In comes the black bean burger.

You can even freeze them, which means even less preparation time come dinner.

Just as a side note, the buns I used are not of the gluten-free variety. I haven't found a store bought (or what I would love is a local bakery) that makes vegan gluten free buns that tastes great, or even just have a non-crumbly texture. If anyone has any suggestions, I am more than open to trying any! Anywho, I used the ezekiel organic flour-free sprouted buns, that I find are the only wheat I can digest just fine.







Quick Black Bean Burgers

Ingredients:

-1 can, or equivalent homecooked, black beans
- 1/3 cup oats
- 1/2 tbsp chili powder
- Hot sauce, to taste
- 1 1/2 tsp dijon mustard

Pre-heat oven to 400F

In a medium bowl, mash the beans until about half are still in bits and pieces, add in the oats and all the seasonings and mix well. 

Form into 4 patties on a parchment paper lined baking sheet. Bake on each side for about 5-7 minutes, until the outside is almost crispy, but not browned.

Using your burger bun of choice, or a lettuce leaf, load on your favorite toppings. I added lettuce, avocado, hot sauce, organic ketchup, mustard and some low fat vegan mayo. Tomatoes would have made it perfect, but I didn't have any at the time.

ENJOY!

Like what you see?

Check out and LIKE the Plates for Plants FACEBOOK PAGE and see updates, pictures and new posts and sign up for our NEWSLETTER for exclusive content! (See the top right corner to sign up!)

No comments:

Post a Comment