Pages

Saturday 14 December 2013

Green Bean Casserole Pasta

Mushroom soup and I have a long lasting relationship. As a kid, it was one of my favorite lunches. Once I went vegan though, we had a little bit of a break. But had I known how simple it was to make it, I don't think that would have happened!

Although, now I have to find a low fat raw vegan way to make it, so that I can have it more than once in a blue moon... If you haven;t guessed, it isn't exactly a low fat recipe, which is what I strive for. However, there is nothing wrong with a high fat meal meal now and again. I stick with an 80/10/10 mentality, which is 80% carbs, 10% or less of each protein and fats in terms of caloric intake. This is something that I like having over time, so it's not like I'm strict on having my ratio.

After going through every kind of "diet" imaginable, this makes me feel at my best. No need for restrictions or fancy foods, just what nature gives us in it's simplest form or very minimally processed, combined to make great tasting meals. Also, having tried the low carb approach, I would never recommend it simply because I (and others I know)felt horrible on it, and the cravings are enough to make anyone go coo-coo. There is also so much scientific evidence against forgoing carbohydrates that everyone should take a second look. I am planning on writing an entire post or series on healthy eating and a more nutrition approach to food. 

This recipe is so simple, yet so flavourful, it'll knock your socks off and warm your feet.


I chose gluten free quinoa penne for my vessel, but it's also great over rice or even potatoes.







Green Bean Casserole Pasta

Ingredients:

- 2 cans of coconut milk, or equivalent home-made*
- 2-3 cups green beans, cut into thirds.
- 2-3 large Portobello mushroom caps, minced.
- 1 medium onion, minced.
- S/P

Pasta of choice (or rice, quinoa. Can also be served on it's own as a soup)

In a large deep pan, or pot, saute the onions in a few tablespoons of water until translucent. Add the mushrooms and beans and let cook until mushroom begin to release water. Make sure to shake your can of coconut milk well before adding them in. If you prefer a much thicker sauce without using flour, only put one full can coconut milk and the fat from another. Let cook until everything is nice and melded together. Taste and add seasoning to personal preference. 

If you find that the sauce doesn't thicken up like you want it to, add a bit of flour whisked into water to thicken up. I don't usually use flour, but I prefer doing this than cooking down the coconut milk because it can be finicky and decide to separate if overcooked. 

* Try to avoid using the boxed coconut milk, it isn't thick enough and doesn't cook as well as canned.  If you want to avoid cans, make your own coconut milk instead.

Serve over any kind of carbohydrate and...

Enjoy!



Like what you see?

Check out and LIKE the Plates for Plants FACEBOOK PAGE and see updates, pictures and new posts and sign up for our newsletter for exclusive content!

No comments:

Post a Comment