Pages

Friday 23 August 2013

Sweet Surrender Zucchini Pasta

This summer has my food cravings going through different seasons every other week. Last week, it was fall, I wanted warmth and density because of the colder days and chilly evening. This week, it's bright and sunny and calls for fresh no-cook meals.

Since I do strive to live a raw lifestyle, with tons of fruit and veggies in their most natural form, I love those days when I just want fresh and raw foods. It's also a perk cause it means not having to turn on the stove or the oven. I find that I get my most creative when experimenting with my raw savoury dinners, where the sky is the limit and I love surprising people with the versatility of raw foods, without even venturing into the gourmet aspect of it.




Right now, almost all I can think of is fresh corn. I've always looked forward to this time of year, simply because I can indulge in mountains of it without killing my wallet. I've gotten more picky about my corn in the last few years though. I prefer local and refuse to eat any of it if I cant be 100% sure that it isn't GMO. So organic is the best way to go, or just talking to the farmers at the local farmer's market where there is tons of organic produce that isn't necessarily certified.

GMO's are a big issue right now, with so little testing being done before they hit the market, and the testing being done is usually solely by the manufacturers, there are too many side effects and unanswered questions for me to justify thinking they are truly safe. There are some great documentaries on the subject, like "The World According to Monsanto", "Seeds of Death" and the like. The independent studies that have been conducted, have shown some effects that I'm not willing to take a chance on!

Onto happier topics.

This pasta is quite delicious and overt-fat-free, although I have been known to add a little avocado now and again. It's incredibly fresh. No boring salads on this table.





Sweet Surrender Zucchini Pasta
Ingredients:

- 2.5 cups corn, raw.
- 1 date, soaked for about 10 minutes.
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- 1/2 cup water
- Pepper, to taste.

- 4-5 medium zucchini, spiralized or peeled into ribbons.
- 3 medium tomatoes, diced.

Blend all the sauce ingredients in a high powered blender until smooth but still retaining some texture.

In a large bowl, pour sauce onto noodles then add tomatoes. Add extra pepper if desired.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment